Firefighter Brian Carroll reflects on the 2011 Arlington Street Fire and Cold Storage Fire of 1999.
Firefighter Brian Carroll was trapped in the basement of 49 Arlington St. after the second-floor of the three-decker collapsed underneath him and his partner on Rescue 1. He thought his close friend was OK. Firefighter Carroll lay trapped and didn’t learn until after he was freed that Firefighter Davies had died.
“What happened to my brother, the three-decker collapsed in a way no one could predict,” Robert Davies said. “Certainly I think it serves as a lesson going forward, and even if it saves one life going forward, then at least something good came out of it.”
Firefighter Davies, who was 43 when he died, has a son, Jon D. Davies Jr., in the department now as a firefighter.
- From the Worcester Telegram & Gazette; A cruel month for Worcester firefighters HERE
- NIOSH REPORT Career Fire Fighter Dies and Another is Injured Following Structure Collapse at a Triple Decker Residential Fire – Massachusetts: HERE
Also on CommandSafety …
- Remembrance: Worcester Cold Storage Tragedy – December 3, 2012
- Nothing is Ever Routine: Residential Fire-Chicago LODD – November 3, 2012
- Remembering the FDNY Father’s Day Fire- 2001 – June 16, 2013
- Focus on Fire Safety: National Preparedness Month – September 8, 2012